Spring Break Guide: Tour: Colonial Williamsburg

Under $500

Dates: March 10 through March 17

Williamsburg, Va., and the Historic Triangle (Williamsburg, Yorktown and
Jamestown) are popular due to their importance in the American
Revolution. Visiting is like stepping back in time, and every activity
and tour offers an inside look into America’s founding.

Nearby Yorktown is the site of the revolution’s most decisive battles and Jamestown was one of the first colonies. The Historic Triangle offers more than just monuments, they also provide an affordable and interactive experience, just hours away from D.C.

Travel

By Train

• Amtrak from Union Station will take three hours and 45 minutes, totaling $58 round trip. Shuttles will take you from the train station to Colonial Williamsburg and to your hotel.
Cost: $58

Lodging

The Governor’s Inn

• This inn is centrally located and also has the best rates in Colonial Williamsburg. Maximize your trip by staying close to the sights.
Location: 506 North Henry St.
Cost: $320 total for five nights, not including tax.

Extra

Packaged ticket

• An affordable way to thoroughly experience all of the area’s history is through America’s Historic Triangle Ticket. For $81, this ticket gives the holder access to Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Area sites and museums, as well as Jamestown and Yorktown sites, for seven days.
Cost: $81

Activities

Jamestown Settlement

• This is one of the most historically important sights. There are exhibits showing the significance of Jamestown as an English business venture, the relationship between the English and Native Americans and more. There are also outdoor exhibits, such as recreations of English colonial ships, a colonial fort and a Powhatan village. 
Location: 2110 Jamestown Road
Cost: Free

Tavern Ghost Walk

• For a fun evening, learn about the ghosts that haunt the taverns and other historical buildings. Times: 6:30 p.m., 7 p.m, 8 p.m., 8:30 p.m, 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., one hour long
Starting location: Shield’s Tavern, 422 East Duke of Gloucester St.
Cost: $12

Total: $323

(Excluding meals and extra spending
* Individual costs based on splitting with one travel companion)

Restaurant Suggestions

Christiana Campbell’s Tavern

Yet another historical restaurant, this place claims to have been George Washington’s favorite tavern. Today, it still serves meals that he might have eaten back in the day. That should be enough for any GW Colonial to stop by. Reservations required after 6:30 p.m.

101 South Waller St.

Chowning’s Tavern

Founded in 1766, this historical tavern hosts night-time local wine and ale tasting, and serves traditional comfort foods, like its famous Brunswick Stew. Though pricey – in the $20 to $30 range – the experience is worth every penny. Reservations required for dinner, after 5 p.m.

109 East Duke of Gloucester St.

Huzzah! BBQ Grille

If you are looking for more of a 21st century meal, it exists here. Huzzah! BBQ Grille has affordable food, such as chicken wings, quesadillas or the pulled pork sandwich, for just $9. If you’re looking for a more chill vibe with food familiar to college students, try Huzzah!

113 Visitor Center Drive