Spring Break Guide: Relax: Clearwater Beach, Fla.

Under $1500

Dates: March 10 through March 17

This area boasts clear waters, white sand beaches, and an easygoing atmosphere. Clearwater has all of the history, culture, and warm temperatures of Tampa, but without the crowds.
The sunny disposition of residents and visitors may be due in part to the fact that in March, average temperatures are around 76 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact, this area holds the Guinness World Record for the longest consecutive ray of sunshine, continuing for 768 days straight. For sun, sand, and a great place to kick back and relax, Clearwater is the perfect east coast destination.

Travel

Flight

• D.C. to Tampa costs $279, including all taxes and fees (through Orbitz). Factor in about $90 in cab fares for the week.
Cost: $369

Lodging

Comfort Suites

• The Comfort Suites offer comfort and a place to relax, complete with access to the beach. A stay here includes a free shuttle service to the beach (three miles away), free hot breakfast and a pool.
Location: 1941 Edgewater Drive
Cost: $890 for seven nights, including tax.

Activities

Nature park

• A great, free day trip is to Clearwater’s Moccasin Lake Nature Park. This peaceful and secluded park includes a lake, upland forest, wetlands and various animals and plants native to Florida.
Location: 2750 Park Trail Lane
Cost: Free

Sandpearl Spa

• If a stroll in the woods doesn’t appeal, a massage at the Sandpearl Spa is a must. Their famous hot stone massage is sure to be a relaxing highlight of any trip to Clearwater.
Location: Hot stone massage, $195. Other services available.
Cost: 500 Mandalay Ave.

Time on the beach

• Lastly, no vacation to Clearwater would be complete without plenty of time spent at the beach. Visitors can sit on the white sand and enjoy a low key day or walk along the beach’s famous Pier 60.
Cost: Free

Total: $1454

Excluding meals and extra spending

Restaurant Suggestions

Poppa’s BBQ

A great option on a budget is Poppa’s BBQ – you cannot beat the barbecue cuisine here. For a restaurant with prices under $10, the quality of food is outstanding. Poppa’s is as good as it gets when it comes to delicious ribs and pulled pork.

12211 49th St. N.

Clear Sky Beachside Café

A restaurant that has beachgoers coming back again and again is the Clear Sky Beachside Café. This restaurant is a little more pricey, ranging from $10 to $26 for a meal. However, its beachside location and great pizza, pasta and seafood are worth it.

490 Mandalay Ave.

Casanova Restaurant & Lounge

For a fancier dining experience, Casanova Restaurant & Lounge is highly recommended. Italian cuisine and friendly service are hallmarks of Casanova. The antipasti dish and Florentine steak are excellent. This is the a top destination for a night out at the beach.

811 Cleveland St.