Center dismissed from women’s basketball team

Sophomore Erica Chandler is no longer playing for the women’s basketball team, an athletics communications spokesperson said Wednesday.

Chandler never took the court with the Colonials this season, and even missed practices after being “indefinitely suspended for a violation of team rules,” head coach Mike Bozeman said Oct. 29. She was still listed on the team’s official roster, but has now been removed. Chandler has been “dismissed from the team,” the spokesperson said, asking that the statement be attributed to the athletics communications department, per a department policy. Athletics communications declined to provide any further information on the grounds or circumstances surrounding Chandler’s departure.

Chandler did not respond to a request for comment.

Chandler played 47 minutes in nine games last season, averaging 0.9 points and 0.9 rebounds.

The six-foot-four center from Charlotte, N.C. was a member of Bozeman’s ESPNU HoopGurlz top-50 recruiting class for the 2010-11 season. At the time, Bozeman said Chandler would allow GW to “compete with the best front courts in our conference.”

Her older brother, Tyson Chandler, competes for the New York Knicks of the National Basketball Association, after winning the NBA Championship with the Dallas Mavericks last season.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said Chandler remains enrolled at the University.