Two tennis players net A-10 weekly honors

Freshman Francisco Dias earned A-10 rookie honors Monday. | Hatchet File Photo

Sophomore Leah Pascarella and freshman Francisco Dias were named today the A-10 Women’s Tennis Performer of the Week and Men’s Tennis Rookie Performer of the Week, respectively.

Pascarella earned a singles and doubles victory en route to the Colonials’ 7-0 trouncing of Saint Francis (Pa.) to open their season over the weekend. Pascarella swept her singles opponent in straight sets at the No. 1 singles slot, grabbing a 6-0, 6-0 victory. She teamed up with fellow sophomore Isabella Escobar to grab an 8-0 doubles victory.

Dias joined the men’s tennis squad as they opened their 2012 season with four matches in three days this weekend. Dias, who is currently ranked No. 12 by the ITA in the Atlantic Region, picked up three victories at the No. 1 singles slot over those four matches. The Lisbon, Portugal native earned his first singles victory in straight sets against Old Dominion Friday, grabbed a 2-1 singles win against Dartmouth Saturday and picked up another straight-sets singles win against Iona Sunday. Dias also teamed up with sophomore Viktor Svensson to earn a doubles win against William & Mary.

The men’s tennis team next heads to Penn Feb. 4 for a 2 p.m. match, and the women’s squad travels to Old Dominion for a 1 p.m. match the same day.