Designer styles for just more than budget prices

D.C. is not short on shopping options, but second-hand stores offer a welcome alternative to pricey Georgetown boutiques and Pentagon City Mall. From designer Dupont finds to eclectic Georgetown threads, the District offers often hidden gems of clothing deals.

Second Time Around

3289 M St., NW

Located in the heart of Georgetown, Second Time Around is part of a national upscale consignment chain that originated near Boston. If you’re on a budget, the store has plenty of shopping steals, like an Ann Taylor Loft little black dress ($19) and a J.Crew silver cashmere sweater ($39). For those looking for more upscale items, Second Time Around has an abundance of designer products, like a white Ralph Lauren sweater ($249). The store also has a large selection of evening gowns and cocktail dresses for a special night out.

Secondhand Rose

1516 Wisconsin Ave., NW

Secondhand Rose is a quintessential consignment store. With a well-stocked room full of discounted clothing and accessories, Secondhand Rose has eclectic pieces at reasonable prices. Down the hall, another room features a mixture of vintage and modern pieces with an abundance of professional clothing. Bargain seekers may have to do some digging to find their sizes, but you’re likely to walk away with classic pieces that can stay in your wardrobe for years to come. From a Victorian green silk dress ($88) to Jimmy Choo bright pink heels ($88) to a Jill Stuart top ($58), Secondhand Rose has something for every fashionista. 

Shannon Brown | Hatchet Photographer
Annie Creamcheese

Annie Creamcheese

3279 M St., NW

Located in the heart of Georgetown’s shopping district, Annie Creamcheese is the shoppers’ solution for designer labels, without designer prices. From a 1980s blue floral Yves Saint Laurent dress ($209) to wear to class, to a black leather skirt by Byblos ($72) for a night out, the store features an impressive selection of products to match any girl’s taste. The store is famous for its vintage and bohemian clothing – like a black and gold sparkly dress from the ’60s ($32) – but also contains many everyday essentials, like a Derek Heart navy cardigan ($26).

Sort-of-Vintage Clothing

1728 Connecticut Ave., NW

As you browse through the racks of clothes at Sort-of-Vintage Clothing, you’ll find vivid prints and statement pieces, including floral jumpsuits and long, multicolored skirts. While there, I found a navy Brooks Brothers sweater ($45) and a United Colors of Benetton forest green pleated mini skirt ($30). Be prepared to stay awhile at Sort-of-Vintage Clothing, as you’ll want to spend time trying on the store’s unique pieces. The store even carries more upscale, formal products at great prices, like an Adrianna Papell coral tiered dress ($65).  

Arva Bossov | Hatchet Photographer
Secondi

Secondi

1702 Connecticut Ave., NW

Secondi is grouped into categories of pants, tops, sweaters, outerwear and dresses, and from there, it is further arranged by size and color. The tags provide the original date the product went on sale. From a J.Crew black and white speckled wool skirt ($38) to a Besty Johnson teal cocktail dress ($258), Secondi covers consignment clothing needs of women on any budget.