Sports weekend wrap-up

Senior Amanda Murphy performs on the balance beam during the Lindsey Ferris Invitation Jan. 14. | Hatchet File Photo

Correction Appended

A lot of Colonial sports teams were in action this weekend. Here’s a look at how some of GW’s teams performed:

Gymnastics

The Colonials scored a season-high 193.125 as a team to finish second in a tri-meet at West Virginia Sunday afternoon. GW earned season-high team scores in all events, scoring 48.600 on vault, 47.875 on bars, 48.450 on balance beam and 48.200 on the floor exercise.

For the third week in a row, junior Stephanie Stoichovy was on the podium for the all-around, finishing third with an overall score of 38.550. She scored 9.750 on the floor exercise, 9.700 on vault, 9.600 on balance beam and 9.500 on the uneven bars.

Redshirt junior Monique Blount grabbed a career-high 9.800 on the balance beam, tying for third. Freshman Elena Corcoran posted a season-high 9.800 on the vault, taking fourth place overall, and sophomore Kiera Kenney scored a season-high 9.725 on the uneven bars to grab fourth place.

GW next heads to a quad meet at Pittsburgh Feb. 4, facing featuring EAGL rivals Rutgers and Pittsburgh as well as William & Mary.

Men’s tennis

The reigning Atlantic 10 champions opened the 2012 season this weekend, playing four matches in three days. Hampered by injury, the Colonials picked up a 4-3 victory over Old Dominion but dropped their remaining matches, falling to Dartmouth, 4-2, William and Mary, 4-1, and Iowa, 4-2 at the William and Mary Tribe Invitational.

GW earned its first-ever victory over Old Dominion Friday, narrowly escaping with a 4-3 win. Sophomore Ulrik Thomsen and junior Alexander van Gils picked up a doubles victory for GW, followed by a win at the No. 3 doubles slot from junior Leonardo Lapentti and sophomore Viktor Svensson. Singles wins from freshman Francisco Dias, van Gils and Lapentti cemented the Colonials’ match win.

Against Dartmouth, Dias opened play at the No. 1 singles slot with a victory, but his win wasn’t enough to propel the rest of the Colonials, with Thomsen earning the sole other Colonial singles victory at the No. 3 slot. GW was swept in doubles play to drop the match 4-2 to Dartmouth.

The Colonials next faced William and Mary. They picked up the doubles point with two victories from the teams of Thomsen and van Gils and Dias and Svensson, but couldn’t hold on in singles play, where they were swept to drop the match 4.1.

GW’s last match of the weekend was against Iona. The Colonials again could only pick up two singles victories, from Dias and Svensson, and were swept in doubles play to drop a 4-2 decision.

The Colonials next head to Penn Feb. 4 for a 2 p.m. match.

womens tennis julia blakely
Sophomore Julia Blakely sprints for the ball during a March match against James Madison University last season. | Hatchet File Photo

Women’s tennis

The Colonials opened their season against Saint Francis (Pa.) this weekend, holding their opponent scoreless en route to a 7-0 victory.

Senior Zoe Krohn and junior Mimi Hamling earned a 8-0 doubles victory, followed by the doubles team of sophomores Isabella Escobar and Leah Pascarella, who also picked up a 8-0 win. The final GW doubles team, seniors Jacqueline Corba and Meg Tyner, grabbed an 8-1 doubles win to sweep that category for the Colonials.

GW opened singles play off a straight-sets victory from Pascarella, followed by a win at the No. 2 slot from Corba. Hamling, Escobar, Krohn and Tyner followed suit with wins of their own– and every Colonial won their singles match in straight sets.

The Colonials head to Old Dominion for a 1 p.m. match Feb. 4.

Squash

The squash teams also swung into action this weekend, both the men’s and women’s squads playing four matches against various opponents in Maine.

The men’s squad opened the weekend blanking Tufts 9-0, and followed that with a 9-0 victory over Boston College the next day. GW’s only loss on the weekend came at the hands of Bates, falling 7-2, but the Colonials rebounded for a win at Bowdoin, posting a 5-4 victory.

The women’s team also opened their weekend with a  9-0 victory over Tufts, but dropped their next three matches. The Colonials fell 8-1 to Bates and 7-2 to Mount Holyoke Saturday, and couldn’t rebound against Bowdoin Sunday, falling 5-4.

This article was updated on Jan. 29, 2011 to reflect the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly omitted the men’s tennis team’s victory over Old Dominion when summarizing its weekend action. The Colonials earned a 4-3 victory over the Monarchs.