Jon Stewart to come to campus for Clinton Global Initiative University conference

“Daily Show” pundit Jon Stewart will speak at the GW-hosted Clinton Global Initiative University conference in March, former President Bill Clinton announced  Thursday.

Comedian Jon Stewart will speak to 1,000 students from around the world at the Clinton Global Initiative University conference in Foggy Bottom in March. Photo courtesy of Comedy Central

The comedian will join Chelsea Clinton and entrepreneurs, nonprofit leaders and authors as speakers at the conference that will bring an estimated 1,000 students to Foggy Bottom.

The application deadline to attend the conference is Jan. 23. Students are required to make a “commitment to action” – a promise to perform a measurable project that targets an issue in human rights, education, poverty, environment or public health.

The conference, which will run from March 30 to April 1, will engage students in topics ranging from inspiring public service, creating economic opportunity and embracing entrepreneurship.

GW was announced as the host of this year’s conference in September.

“I am proud to hold this year’s CGI U in the nation’s capital, an ideal place to foster civic engagement among today’s young leaders and generate student commitments to better our world,” Clinton said in a statement.

Stewart last spoke on campus in 2009 when he headlined Colonials Weekend.