Profile on Style: Back to Work

Profile on Style is a weekly post that explores the motivations behind GW’s fashion trends. We’ll show you the most interesting aspects of GW style, and then try to make some sense of it all. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around because you might become the latest trendsetter.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Samantha Hatton.

The D.C. streets just got a little trendier with the return of the GW community from winter break. As the temperature continues to drop, one can expect to see heavier coats and higher boots. Here are some ways GW students are keeping it warm and fashionable while getting ready for the new semester:

Chelsea Weldon. Ashley Lucas | Hatchet photographer.

Name: Chelsea Weldon
Year: 2014
Hometown: Wilton, Conn.
Major: Marketing and Event Management
Clothes: Coat, Tahari; bag, Bally; boots, Joie

We ran into Chelsea in the GW bookstore getting her books for the spring semester. Her boots, made by Joie, caught our eyes immediately with their laced-up detail, tied at the top of the boot. During the winter, it can be hard to pop out especially when the cold weather forces everyone to don big, lifeless coats. That’s why shoes are so important for maintaining a unique style when the temperature drops, and the laces on Chelsea’s boots did just that. We were also impressed by the simple ruffling detail of her Tahari puffer coat. Chelsea’s leather cross-body bag from Bally also adds a new texture to her outfit. In the winter, accessories and small details can make a really warm and practical outfit also very chic.

Hannah Eibensteiner. Ashley Lucas | Hatchet Photographer.

Name: Hannah Eibensteiner
Year: 2012
Hometown: Minneapolis, Minn.
Major: International Affairs
Clothes: Dress, American Eagle; cardigan, Target

Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean you need to stash away your dresses until spring. A plain pair of stockings can help transition almost any dress into your winter wardrobe. Senior Hannah Eibensteiner coordinated black tights with a matching cardigan and boots, allowing her to sport a fun, patterned dress from American Eagle on her Starbucks run. The deep blue and purple tones of her dress make it perfect for winter. Hannah studied abroad in Poland, where she said she was inspired by the feminine style of many Polish women.

Troy Gibb. Ashley Lucas | Hatchet Photographer.

Name: Troy Gibb
Year: 2014
Hometown: Lafayette, Calif.
Major: Philosophy
Clothes: Jacket, American Eagle; shoes, Ugg

Troy’s wool zip-up jacket from American Eagle gives him that textured look of layering, which is one trick to maintaining style during the cold months. Other suggestions for layering can include using scarves and knitted snoods. Troy keeps it casual and comfortable with a pair of shoes made by Ugg in a color complementary to his tan slacks. Uggs are, of course, a classic way to stay warm, trendy and practical.

Good luck this semester! Keep warm and stay fabulous!