Colonials best District-rival American to close non-conference play

Junior forward Megan Nipe readies for a shot against UDC earlier this season. | File Photo

Just over seven minutes into a back-and-forth first half against District-rival American, senior forward Tara Booker knocked down back-to-back jumpers, giving the Colonials their first lead of the game.

Six minutes later, junior forward Megan Nipe followed suit, sinking back-to-back baskets of her own to extend a 21-10 advantage for GW. Booker and Nipe’s efforts helped to build a lead the team would not relinquish for the rest of the afternoon, and the Colonials (7-7) wrapped up non-conference play with a 60-49 victory over the Eagles. The win ended a streak of three consecutive losses in the series against American.

The women’s basketball team got off to a lackluster start Monday afternoon, turning the ball over four times in three and a half minutes as American jumped out to an early lead. After tightening up their ball handling, the Colonials used an 11-2 scoring run to take a commanding lead over the Eagles, who shot just 25 percent from the field in the first half.

When American hit a three-pointer to post their first points in three minutes, Nipe answered back on the next possession with a trey of her own. Using nine points off of 11 turnovers, the Colonials bested the Eagles by 11 points in the first half with a 37 percent shooting performance from the floor. Providing a spark off the bench, it was Nipe’s hot shooting en route to 10 first half points that guided the Colonials to a comfortable lead as they headed into the locker room.

American found momentum as the second half began, draining 10 of their first 14 attempts from the field while the Colonials’ lead dwindled.  While AU cut the deficit to 7 points in the first couple of minutes, Booker once again knocked down consecutive baskets to keep the Colonials in command. As the Eagles continued to push the pace offensively, junior guard Danni Jackson reasserted a nine-point lead for the Colonials with a bucket from behind the arc to stop a 7-2 scoring run.

American continued to score possession after possession, cutting the Colonials’ lead to just four points with over 12 minutes to play, prompting a timeout from head coach Mike Bozeman. Each side continued to trade baskets and American kept within four points with just under eight minutes left, but Booker once again used the three-ball to take the life out of the Eagles.

After the blistering scoring pace set by the Eagles in the first part of the half, American finished the rest of the second half just 5 of 16 from the field. GW took command for the remainder of the game, pushing their lead to as much as 17 points with the help of a 10-0 scoring run.

Booker and Nipe each finished with game-high 18 point performances, while Booker dominated the glass for eight rebounds and Nipe went a perfect 6-for-6 from the charity stripe. Jackson posted 11 points and five rebounds, while sophomore forward Chelisa Painter scored eight points and grabbed seven boards. While GW shot 42.6 percent from the field on the day, they went 14 of 19 from the free throw line, while American made just one of two.

The Colonials, who have played three games in six days, gear up for the start of A-10 play when they host Fordham Jan. 7 at 5 p.m. in the Smith Center.