Public hearing on UPD’s reaccreditation sparsely attended

Representatives from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies Anthony Purcell, the chief of police at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and Greg King, retired chief of police for California State University at Los Angeles, held a public comment hearing Monday evening. Delaney Walsh | Hatchet photographer

A public comment session for students and community members to share their opinions on the University Police Department Monday evening saw few attendants.

The forum, held at the Marvin Center as part of the force’s recertification process with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, an international accrediting body, garnered only a handful of attendees including UPD officials.

CALEA representatives arrived at GW Dec. 10 and began reviewing police records against nearly 189 standards, Greg King, one of the agency’s program managers for UPD, said.

King said the public comment forums do not typically attract large numbers of attendees, but the agency received seven calls over the weekend – all positive – regarding UPD, and also received two or three letters.

The international agency originally stamped UPD with its three-year seal of approval in 2006. A public session held in November 2008 for its second reaccreditation process also saw limited attendance.

Before closing the forum with no comments, King said the commission accepts feedback year-round on law enforcement agencies that have been accredited.

UPD Chief Kevin Hay said the department will hear back from the agency regarding its recertification in the spring.

Fifty-one campus law enforcement agencies across the country are CALEA-certified.