Sports in Brief

Miller nets rookie honors

Freshman guard Chakecia Miller grabbed Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week honors Monday, after helping the Colonials gain three wins last week.

The award is the first Rookie of the Week honor for the program since now-junior forward Shi-Heria Shipp was recognized as a freshman in November 2009.

Miller averaged 9.0 points, 2.6 steals and 2.3 rebounds in 19.7 minutes off the bench in the Colonials’ three wins over Old Dominion (58-52 OT), Maine (56-54) and Houston Baptist (80-44). The three victories extended GW’s winning streak to four games, its first four-game streak since the 2008 season.

Miller also posted double figures in two of the three games, netting a career-high 14 points in Wednesday’s overtime victory over Old Dominion. Against Houston Baptist Saturday, she finished 5-of-7 from the field, netting 10 points and grabbing a team-high five steals.

Though she has yet to start a game, Miller ranks first on the team, and third in the A-10, with 18 steals, averaging 2.3 per game. She is fifth in scoring, with 5.6 points per game. After the Colonials’ most recent victory, head coach Mike Bozeman cited his team’s depth off the bench, pointing out Miller in particular, as a key component to its success.

“[Cha]Kecia Miller is already calling out a place for her in our rotation,” Bozeman said. “Those guys are important to our success. They help our depth and they give us quality depth.”

Miller and GW next visits District-rival No. 20 (ESPN/USA Today) Georgetown Dec. 11 at 2 p.m.

Number Crunch: 19

The number of points posted by junior forward David Pellom in GW’s loss Wednesday night, a career-high.The number of points posted by junior forward David Pellom in GW’s loss Wednesday night, a career-high.