Holiday Shopping Guide: Holiday Shopping in the District

Short on ideas for holiday shopping around the District? Check out The Hatchet’s guide for fresh places to find more interesting gifts. Both mainstream shopping venues and shops unique to D.C. are explored to help you decide where to shop for friends and loved ones.

Metro Center

Exiting the Metro stop at Metro Center, you’ll find a world of shopping that truly feels like city shopping.

Nearby is Lou Lou, an accessory shop with well-priced jewelry to fit anyone’s budget. Anthropologie, which is known for its trendy clothing, is often overlooked for the smaller household goods it holds that make cute holiday gifts.

In the area is also the Shops at National Place, a three-level shopping mall with over 75 stores. Inside is a Filene’s Basement as well as a renowned food court that’s necessary to keep you fueled throughout your shopping.

Just a short walk away are stores in Gallery Place-Chinatown. Urban Outfitters and Ann Taylor Loft are good places to look for holiday gifts.

Deals
For a limited time Ann Taylor Loft has 30 percent off sale items.
529 14th St., NW (Filene’s Basement)

Pentagon City

Having a wide variety of stores, Pentagon City is a one-stop shopping location for the holidays.

Located on the Pentagon City Metro stop, it contains familiar names such as BCBG, Abercrombie and Fitch, Bebe, Arden B., Banana Republic, Nordstrom, Express, Gap, J. Crew and Macy’s.

Similar to other shopping malls, it has the standard stores you already know and love. With so many options, you can buy gifts for many people in one convenient location.

Another pro of shopping here is that gifts you bring home to your friends are easily exchangeable because most of the stores are brand names with many locations.

If you know of a big name store with a gift perfect for a friend, it can probably be found at Pentagon City.

Deals
20 to 50 percent off at Journey’s until Jan. 4
Sale at Bed Bath & Beyond until Dec. 21
1100 South Hayes St., Arlington, Va.

Georgetown

Only a 15-minute walk away, Georgetown is the ideal shopping location for convenience and variety. As the fashion center of D.C., it plays host to both major brands and unique shops.

Urban Outfitters, Barnes & Noble, H&M, Steve Madden and American Apparel are located on M Street, but by taking a turn up Wisconsin Avenue, there are more stores to be found. Stop in at Sherman Pickey or Sugar. There are also several consignment shops in the area like Second Time Around and Ella-Rue.

If you want to buy something other than clothing, cupcakes are a major part of Georgetown. Home to Georgetown Cupcakes, Baked and Wired and Sprinkles you’re sure to find a favorite or unique flavor to gift.

Deals
30 percent off sweaters at Urban Outfitters while supplies lasts
3111 M St., NW

Logan Circle / U Street

This area plays host to some of the District’s major boutiques, perfect if you want to stray from brand names and find a more unique gift.

First are two boutiques, Caramel and Nana, which tied for the Best Clothing Boutique of 2011 by the Washington City Paper. Caramel is located on U Street and is known for its green clothing lines, as well as selling products by local designers. On the other hand, Nana mixes the new with the old and sells vintage inspired pieces.

Also in the area is Home Rule, an offbeat home goods store. Selling everything from robot ice cube trays to Pac Man oven mitts, this store has gifts that will bring a smile. Similarly, Pulp also has quirky gifts.

Tip
Even without in-store deals, try shopping at each boutiques’ website for online exclusives and gift guides.