More students compete for graduate fellowship

The University’s Presidential Administrative Fellowship program saw a resurgence of interest this fall after a steep dip in applications last year.

This semester, 65 seniors applied for the Presidential Administrative Fellowship – a 35-percent increase from last year.

The competitive fellowship covers tuition toward a graduate degree, while winners serve administrative roles for different University departments, including the offices of human resources, external relations, development and alumni relations, safety and security and research. Departments submit requests for new fellows in the spring.

Four to six applicants will be selected as fellows – fewer than in past years, so each student receives more individual attention – the program’s logistical coordinator Toby Davidow said.

Changes to the program come from suggestions by the 2020 Presidential Administrative Fellowship Task Force Committee, a group of current fellows, faculty and staff formed in March that analyzed the past two decades of the program upon the request of University President Steven Knapp.

The program began to incorporate academic presentations to its weekly meetings this year. Director of the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration Kathy Newcomer became fellows’ academic adviser this September, marking a new emphasis on scholarship.

The task force also initiated this year’s additions of a Presidential Administrative Fellowship group project and professional training curriculum.

Dean of Students Peter Konwerski attributed the jump in applications to new recruitment techniques, including letters sent to all seniors who met the minimum 3.25 GPA requirement and outreach to departments, student organizations and sports teams.

“We took a very proactive approach in our recruitment process this year and did some very specific, intentional activities designed to reach out to every part of the University,” Konwerski, who oversees the program, said.

The dean said he was pleased with this year’s applicants.

“We have a strong pool and a very robust and diverse set of applicants representing schools, programs and experiences on and off campus,” Konwerski said.

He said the program looks for students with strong academic track records who distinguished themselves during their undergraduate years.

Last year, the GPA requirement was bumped from a 3.0 to a 3.25 – a change that spurred fewer applicants to vie for the seven positions awarded that year.

Students selected for the two-year fellowship are expected to balance a graduate course load and work for the University.

“They have to continuously maintain their high GPA, attend class on a consistent basis, work part-time and attend numerous events,” Davidow said.