Men’s, women’s squash teams sweep Haverford

Junior Islam El-Fiky sends the ball back to his Hoya opponent earlier this season. | File Photo

Both the men’s and women’s squash teams took to the court this weekend, the men splitting their action and the women posting a decisive victory.

The men’s squad opened weekend play with a 9-0 loss to Dartmouth. Junior Islam El-Fiky dropped a 9-11, 11-5, 11-9, 11-8 decision at No. 1 singles to Christopher Hanson, just the third loss of his career. The only Colonial not to fall in straight set was junior Omar Sobhy, who fell in a  11-4, 9-11, 11-8, 11-5 loss to Nicolas Sisodina.

The Colonials traveled back to Foggy Bottom to host Haverford, postig a 9-0 victory. El-Fiky and Sobhy combined to allow 12 points across six sets, leading GW with straight set victories. Senior Jose Calderon posted 11-0, 11-2, 11-0 win over Harry Gallway at No. 3, and sophomore Chris Bell grabbed a win at the No. 7 position with an 11-0-11-0, 11-2 win over Bret Marlowe. Freshman David Moxley earned a near shutout at No. 9, allowing just one point in an 11-0, 11-0, 11-1 victory over Zachary Kaden.

The women’s team also hosted Haverford Sunday, and also posted a 9-0 sweep.

Sophomore Jackie Shea led the Colonials at the No. 1 slot with a dominant 11-2, 11-0, 11-0 win over Caroline Nightingale, followed by sophomores Kelly Barnes and Elizabeth Tapley, who competed the sweep of the top three slots by both earning 3-0 victories. Senior Lauren Mathieu grabbed a 11-0, 11-1, 11-3 victory at the No. 4 position and senior Tiffany Hingley followed with a 11-0, 11-1, 11-1 win at the No. 5 position.

The Colonials next head to Hartford, Conn. Dec. 2, facing three squads over the weekend: Connecticut College Friday and Trinity and Bowdoin Saturday.