Staff Editorial: A commitment to veterans

The University demonstrated once again last week that it is committed to honoring those who have served the country, even after they returned from their tours overseas.

GW expanded its outreach to include an entire week of raising awareness of campus veterans, not just the annual Veterans Day ceremony.

This move falls in line with GW’s laudable No. 16 rank for most military-friendly colleges, according to Military Times Edge. The University has maintained a strong commitment to serving and assisting former troops, and Veterans Awareness week is a testament to that.

The week included a panel of former military personnel and a D-Day veteran, readings delivered by veterans, a College Democrats and College Republicans day of service and screenings of movies about veterans.

The transition from the army to school can be tough, but the University has honored and assisted veterans in what can be a difficult time.

The transition can also be financially wearisome, particularly as the federal funds for veterans have decreased. The University is a member of the Yellow Ribbon Program, a federal financial aid program that provides full tuition to former troops.

And at 81 percent, GW has the veteran highest graduation rate of any other colleges in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

The University’s steps to honor former military members is a promising one, and last week’s Veterans Awareness week speaks to GW’s continued dedication to the men and women who served.

These veterans put their lives on the line for the country. They deserve the recognition and gratitude from the community during Veterans Awareness week and all year.