Lonergan confirms three recruits

Kethan Savage signs his National Letter of Intent to attend GW. Photo courtesy Patricia Savage and Episcopal High School.

Men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan confirmed yesterday that Kethan Savage, Kyprianos Maragkos and Patricio Garino will join the Colonials in the 2012-2013 season.

His statement comes on the heels of previous reports that Savage and Maragkos signed their National Letter of Intents and Garino verbally committed to GW. All three have now signed letters of intent, Lonergan said.

“We’re very excited about the three recruits we’ve signed,” Lonergan said. “They’re all different types of players and we think they will all make immediate contributions to our program as freshmen.”

Savage, a guard from Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va., posted 17.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game last season, and earned Second Team All-Met honors, and First Team All-Virginia recognition. He led Episcopal to a 25-3 record and the Interstate Athletic Conference Championship last year.

“Kethan is a combo guard who plays point guard for his high school team. He’s an extremely athletic player who gets to the rim and has the strength to finish. He’s also a very good defender,” Lonergan said.

Maragkos originally hails from Amarouiso, Greece and now plays for the Blue Ridge School in St. George, Va. The forward is rated as one of the top under-18 players from Europe and averaged 9.7 points and 4.3 rebounds for his U-18 Greece team that competed in the European championships in Poland in 2011.

“Paris is a very skilled power forward with range out to the three-point line. His versatility will create a lot of match-up problems for our opponents,” Lonergan said.

Garino is a native of Buenos Aires, Argentina, and now competes for Montverde Academy in Florida, where Colonials assistant coach Kevin Sutton used to lead the program. He competed with his National team in this past summer’s U-19 World Championships, where he averaged 9.4 and 4.2 rebounds in nine games during the tournament. Garino will compete as both a shooting guard and a small forward at GW.

“Patricio is a very versatile wing player who fills the stat sheet and does a lot of things well. He’s a very experienced player with his international competition as a member of the Argentinean National Team program,” Lonergan said.

The three will join Villanova transfer Isaiah Armwood as new faces on the court for the Colonials next season.