Inspired by my stay in The Big Easy, I decided to take New Orleans’ most iconic dessert, the Bananas Foster, and make an alcoholic shake out of it. Created at Brennan’s Restaurant, the dish’s sweetness and richness cuts the sting out of dark rum and brings out its flavor. Made with brown sugar, cinnamon, bananas, vanilla ice cream and dark rum, the drink is an indulgence, but it would be a mistake to miss out on this milkshake.
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped
- Splash of milk for blending
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1. In a blender, pulse the bananas with a splash of milk until smooth.
- 2. Melt butter in a nonstick pan and whisk in brown sugar and banana purée. Finish with cinnamon. Put mixture in freezer until cool.
- 3. Blend four scoops, or about half a pint, of ice cream with four tablespoons of the Bananas Foster mixture and two shots of rum. Pour in glass, top with freshly grated nutmeg and serve with a straw.