Armstrong, Whyte grab A-10 weekly awards

jamie armstrong volleyball
Sophomore Jamie Armstrong, right, sets up for a spike during the D.C. Challenge earlier this season. File Photo

Sophomore Jamie Armstrong and junior Lauren Whyte have been named the Atlantic 10 Volleyball Defensive and Offensive Players of the Week, respectively.

The Colonials’ solid contributions helped their team post two victories to close out its home schedule this season and clinch a berth in the upcoming Atlantic 10 Championship in Dayton, Ohio. GW defeated Saint Louis and Duquesne 3-2 in the Smith Center this weekend.

Armstrong averaged 1.30 blocks per set on the weekend, good enough to earn her third A-10 honor of the season. Against Saint Louis, she posted nine block assists, including three in the decisive fifth set, adding seven kills against one error (.400) and five digs. Armstrong continued her solid play against the Dukes, adding seven kills against one error for the second night in a row, and four block assists and three service aces.

Whyte totaled 44 kills against just 12 errors, swinging .239 overall on the weekend. She posted 19 kills and three errors against the Billikens on Friday night, adding nine digs and four blocks. Facing the Dukes, Whyte earned her seventh double-double of the 2011 season, posting a season-high 25 kills and 10 digs. The award marks the fourth time in Whyte’s career as a Colonial that she has earned A-10 weekly honors.

GW concludes the regular season this weekend, heading to Rhode Island on Nov. 11 and Fordham on Nov. 12.