White House official returns to GW Law faculty

An Obama administration official will join the GW Law School in January in the newly created position of associate dean for government procurement law studies.

Daniel Gordon, who has served as the administrator for federal procurement policy in the Office of Management and Budget since November 2009, will assume a new role at GW designed to connect the procurement law program – focused on the regulation of goods and services by public entities – to corporate and governmental leaders worldwide.

“When I transition over to GW Law School, I’ll be returning to a community that I know and respect from my years on the adjunct faculty,” Gordon said. “I’ll have the opportunity to shape the role in a way that best suits the needs of the students and faculty, and serves the goals that the dean is setting for the law school overall.”

Gordon served as an adjunct professor at the law school from 2002 up until taking the position at the White House in 2009, teaching courses on the formation of government contracts and comparative and international public procurement.

He spent 17 years at the Government Accountability Office and several years working in private practice, which he says showed the importance of public procurement law “as a way to protect taxpayer interests while ensuring that the government’s needs are met in the most economic and efficient ways.”

Dean Paul Schiff Berman called Gordon “the strongest person we could conceive of for the job,” saying that the school underwent a nationwide search before the hiring committee unanimously selected Gordon.

“He has served at the highest levels of government and is one of the most sought-after speakers and advisers on procurement policy worldwide,” Berman said. “In addition, he is that rare breed: someone who not only has a wealth of practical expertise, but is also a gifted communicator and mentor to students.”

Steven Schooner, one of three co-directors of the government procurement law program at GW, said he looks forward to having Gordon’s national and global reputation connected to the program.

“[Gordon] is an extraordinarily gifted teacher who takes the learning process very seriously,” Schooner said. “As of January 1, there can’t be much debate that there has never been a better time or place to be engaged in the study of government contract law.”