Weekend in review

We didn’t have room today in the sports section to cover everything that happened for GW sports this weekend, so here’s a round-up of the rest of the competitions:

Sophomore Adam Streeter drives the ball down the pool against Navy earlier this season. | File Photo

Water Polo

The men’s rowing team finished their 2011 season at the CWPA Southern Division Championship, finishing in fifth place overall, just one rank shy of advancing to the CWPA Eastern Championships.

The Colonials opened play against Johns Hopkins, a squad that GW defeated twice during the regular season but that felled the Colonials in the tournament, posting a 16-11 victory. Sophomore  Nate Little paced GW’s attack with four goals, followed by two apiece from sophomore Paul Deasey and freshmen Ridvan Pehlivan and Brian Mojica.  Junior goalkeeper Cameron Illes posted five saves on the loss, despite losing time while battling pneumonia earlier in the week.

GW faced two opponents the next day and earned two victories, defeating Gannon 15-3 and Washington & Jefferson 19-9. Little scored 13 goals on the day, followed by Mojica’s six during the two-win effort. Junior goalkeeper Sean Joyce took over in net for Illes, making 15 saves on the day.

The Colonials took to the pool for the third day of the tournament against Mercyhurst, taking a 13-8 victory for fifth place. Little again led the offensive attack, netting four goals, and Illes made the start, posting 13 saves. The victory noted the seventh time since 2000 that the Colonials have placed fifth at Southerns.

GW closed 2011 play with a 13-17 overall record, winning its last three matches of the season.

Swimming

Both the men’s and women’s squads headed to Drexel for a dual meet this weekend, with the men’s team falling 170-110 and the women’s team posting its first dual meet win of the season, 164-98.

The women’s squad earned 11 first-place finishes in 14 events during the meet, and set two Drexel Pool records. Freshman Janica Lee broke the pool record in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:24.03, and joined with sophomore Lindsay Moore, freshman Morgan Zebley and sophomore Sydney Saunders to post a 200-yard medley relay time of 1:49.79, tying for first place and setting another record.

The men’s squad fell to Drexel, despite junior Philip Graeter and sophomore Spencer Neff each posting two first-place finishes. Graeter took first in the 200-yard backstroke and 200-yard individual medley and Neff finished first in the 1,000-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle.

The Colonials host their first home dual meet of the season Nov. 12 at 1 p.m. against Towson.