Weekend round-up

We didn’t have enough space on our page today for all of the Colonials sports action, so here’s a quick look at what the Colonials did over the weekend:

Andres Pumariega
Senior Andres Pumariega is tied for second at the Kiawah Classic with freshman teammate Jack Persons. | File Photo

Golf

The Colonials opened play at the the Kiawah Classic Sunday, paced by freshman Jack Persons and senior Andres Pumariega, who each shot a 2-under par score of 70 to tie for second place out of 105 golfers.

The tournament hosts 21 teams from 13 different NCAA conferences. Persons and Pumariega sit one stroke behind the reigning Big South men’s golfer of the week, Campbell’s Vaita Guillaume. As a team, the Colonials currently sit in fourth place with a combined score of 13-over 301.

GW returns to the course this morning at 9 a.m.

Swimming

Both the men’s and women’s swimming team fell at their second dual meet of the season to UMBC this weekend.

The women’s team was bested 137-103 despite earning the the top three finishes in three separate events. The Colonials earned the top three slots in the 200-yard breaststroke, including freshman Janica Lee coming in first with a time of 2:25.50. GW also took the top three in the 500-yard freestyle event, with sophomore Caroline Myers earning first place, and the 200-yard individual medley, where Lee again claimed top honors. Freshman Morgan Zebley won the 100-yard butterfly, and the 400-yard freestyle relay team also took first place for the Colonials.

The men’s team also dropped the meet to UMBC, 138-112, also despite sweeping three events. The Colonials took the top three spots of the 200-yard breaststroke, paced by freshman Garrett Cottingham, who won the event with a time of 2:10.81. GW also earned the top three places in the 500-yard freestyle, with junior Niklas Glenesk coming in first place in 4:49.91, and the 100-yard butterfly, where junior Alex Etz claimed first place with a time of 54.09 seconds. Cottingham also won the 100-yard breaststroke, and GW’s 400-yard freestyle relay team took first with a time of 3:13.25.

Both the men’s and women’s squad return to the pool Nov. 5 with a dual meet at Drexel.