Persons finishes fourth, sets men’s golf record

Jack Persons, golf
Photo courtesy of GW Athletics Communications.

Freshman Jack Persons shot a 54-hole total of 9-under-par 207 to close the Old Dominion-Outerbanks Collegiate, setting a new GW record and finishing fourth of 90 golfers.

Persons shot a 3-under 69 in Tuesday’s final round after opening with rounds of 68 and 70 to lead the Colonials, shooting under par in every round. Appearing in just his third collegiate tournament, Persons surpassed 2006 alumnus Brian Carroll’s previous 36- and 54-hole marks of 139 and 210, both set in 2005, with a two-round total of 138 and Tuesday’s three-round total of 207.

Persons finished behind two players from Georgia, the 28th-ranked team in the country, and a player from Liberty, the No. 31 team, according to the latest GolfWeek rankings. He finished four spots ahead of Georgia’s Bryden Macpherson, the reigning 2011 British Amateur Champion.

“The team and I could not be happier for or more proud of Jack,” head coach Terry Shaffer said. “This was an extremely talented pool of players, and to finish ahead of several top-notch guys says a lot about Jack and his ability.”

The Colonials finished fifth of 18 teams, shooting a three-round total of 11-over 875 and finishing ahead of Atlantic 10 rivals Richmond and Saint Joseph’s. After sitting in 42nd place after round one, senior Andres Pumariega climbed back over the next two rounds of play to finish in a tie for 10th with an even-par total of 216.

The next three finishers for GW were all seniors: Brandon Rukin, who tied for 60th with a three-round 12-over 228, Taylor Fuqua, who finished in a tie for 65th with a total of 14-over 230 and Martin Liu, who tied for 72nd with a three-round 16-over 232.

GW next heads to the three-day Kiawah Island Intercollegiate at the Turtle Point Golf Club in Kiawah Island, S.C., starting Oct. 30.