Sports in Brief

Water polo drops two, earns one victory

GW finished the weekend 1-2 in CWPA play, falling to fellow Southern Division member Princeton Friday night and Northern Division rival Iona Saturday.

The team defeated Northern Division foe Fordham later that day.

The Colonials (9-15) fell 12-8 to Princeton in a match during which the Tigers clinched the Southern Division title. Princeton had a 5-2 lead at halftime, and exploded for seven goals after the break to pull ahead offensively. GW was unable to answer Princeton’s offensive salvo, despite hat tricks from both sophomore Nate Little and freshman Nick Scherma, and 12 stops from junior goalkeeper Cameron Illes.

GW opened play Saturday with a loss to Iona for the first time since 2004, falling 10-4. The teams were knotted at two over the first eight minutes of play, but Iona used a four-goal run to take the lead, outscoring the Colonials 4-0 in the second quarter and 2-0 in the third. GW struggled offensively, converting just 1-of-8 man-up opportunities, and top-scorers Little and sophomore Paul Deasey combining to shoot just 2-for-20. Illes made 10 saves on the loss.

The Colonials took to the pool against Fordham, determined to avenge their back-to-back losses, quickly jumping out to an 8-3 lead by halftime. GW withstood a late Rams rally, earning a 12-10 victory that saw Little net a game-high five goals. Illes again posted double-digit saves, stopping 13 Fordham shots and earning double-digits for the eighth time within the last 10 games.

GW concludes CWPA Southern Division play at Navy Oct. 29.

Colonials finish fourth at world-class regatta

The men’s rowing program finished fourth of 39 programs at the 47th annual Head of the Charles Regatta Saturday in Boston.

GW finished the three-mile course on the Charles River in 15:37.44, only two seconds behind third-place Harvard (15:35.17). Brown University finished in first place in 15:20.88, followed by Princeton in 15:21.17.

“We had a really solid race,” head coach Mark Davis said. “A few crews got in our way a bit, so we weren’t able to sustain maximum speeds for the whole race, but overall it was a really good day.”

The regatta featured 21 intercollegiate teams, rounding out the field with competing club programs. Founded in 1965, the Head of the Charles Regatta has become the largest two-day rowing event in the world, featuring over 8,000 athletes representing 19 countries, who compete in 61 events in front of over 300,000 spectators.

The Colonials next head to the Princeton Chase in Princeton, N.J. Oct. 22.

Number Crunch: 4

The finish, out of 39 teams, of the men’s rowing program at the 47th annual Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston.