Venture off-campus

Serendipity 3

The moment you enter, you are immediately greeted not only by great service, but also by the atmosphere of this new restaurant modelled after the famous original in New York City. There is an air of elegance without seeming arrogant, making for a generally enjoyable experience.

Along with style and grace, the restaurant carries a fun attitude, from the wacky wall décor and lighting to the upbeat music playlist.

Serendipity 3 offers a variety of items, serving brunch, lunch and dinner. All three menus serve different types of food to satisfy almost any craving, from soups and salads to steak, chicken and seafood options.

Not to mention, Serendipity 3 offers an extensive dessert menu with sundaes, signature frozen hot chocolate, milkshakes, cake and pie to suit any sweet tooth.

Address: 3150 M St., NW202-333-5193
Hours: Monday through Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 11 to 1 a.m., Sunday from 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Kramerbooks & Afterwards Café

If you’re hungry for more than food, then Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe, known colloquially as Kramers, is the place to go. Not too many cafes can juggle a bookstore in the front, along with full breakfast, lunch and dinner menus for indoor and sidewalk seating.

During the day, the cafe is a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. Take a trip inside and immerse yourself in a surrounding of books, with the choice of enjoying your food indoors. For the livelier bunch, the cafe comes to life at night. Not to mention, Wednesday nights offer live music for dinner accompaniment.

As for the food, regardless of what you are craving, there is probably some variation of it on the menu. The lunch and dinner menus span across different ethnicities and cultures, from sandwiches to large entrees and pasta. Also, there is a full dessert list along with the extensive brunch and breakfast lists.

Address: 1517 Connecticut Ave., NW (Across from the Dupont Metro station; exit on Q Street)
Phone: 202-387-3825

Cactus Cantina

If you are in the mood for authentic Mexican food, be sure to check out Cactus Cantina. This vibrant restaurant full of Latin décor and music is a fun place to sit with friends and have a good time over a delicious meal. The service is great, along with the quality and authenticity of the food.

The menu offers great Tex Mex choices, from soups and salads to burritos and enchiladas. There are more options, however, with many Mexican favorites such as chimichangas, tamales and quesadillas. There are also vegetarian, seafood and grill options, such as mesquite grilled chicken. Cactus Cantina also offers Sunday brunch from 11:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Address: 3300 Wisconsin Ave., NW 202-686-7222 (One block from the National Cathedral)
Hours: Every day from 11 a.m. to 11:30 p.m