American eats

As a city with an international flair, there’s no shortage of ethnic food in the District. But recently American restaurants, especially burger joints, are all the rage.

Burger, Tap & Shake

What could be more all-American than a juicy burger with a creamy milkshake? With the new Burger, Tap & Shake on campus, you can enjoy just that. Burger, Tap & Shake has a variety of specialty char-griddled burgers, as well as veggie and chicken patties, not to mention delicious fries. They also have lots of great-tasting shakes, from classic vanilla to the alcoholic “Evil Empire.”

Burger, Tap & Shake promotes a casual dining style, in which patrons order at the counter and are given coaster pagers, Metro Diner style. While you wait for your food, you can grab a stool at the bar or a table – inside and outside seating is available – and admire the atmosphere.

A huge portrait of George Washington is featured on the wall, next to handwritten descriptions of the menu displayed overhead around the bar and on columns throughout the restaurant. Reasonable prices and its close proximity to campus should earn Burger, Tap & Shake a spot on every student’s bucket list.

Address: 2200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

Phone: 202-408-0201

Hours: Sunday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 to 1 a.m.

Clyde’s

Jump back to the early 1900s at this saloon-style Georgetown restaurant, filled with original oil paintings, vintage railroad posters and delicious dishes.

With locations in Georgetown, Chinatown and one in the works on 14th and F streets, Clyde’s is growing to be one of the most popular American-food restaurant chains in D.C. They are also stationed in Maryland and Northern Virginia for anybody looking to cross state lines. Although the menus vary slightly depending on location, each restaurant offers the same warm, classic American feel.

Clyde’s in Georgetown is conveniently close to Foggy Bottom, and also is the original restaurant, giving it a more authentic feel than the larger and more grandiose Chinatown location. Additionally, the hostesses and wait-staff are always extremely kind and accommodating. The only downfall? It is often very crowded, so it may be difficult to get a table.

Address: 3236 M St., NW202-333-9180

Hours: Monday through Thursday 11:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday and Saturday 10 to 1 a.m., Sunday 9 a.m. to midnight

Busboys and Poets

Looking for some artistic inspiration along with your meal?

Part restaurant, part bookstore, Busboys and Poets prides itself on being an artistically eclectic, community-oriented, politically-active haven for the D.C. area.

From paninis and pizzas, to burgers and salads, Busboys and Poets has every type food you may be craving. Even better, all its dishes are delicious and reasonably priced.

What makes its food unique? The restaurant serves mouth-watering vegan desserts, including cheesecake, cookies and soy ice cream.

Busboys and Poets hosts many events, from open mic poetry every Tuesday night to book launches, movie screenings and more.

Considering the top-notch atmosphere, food and entertainment, it’s no wonder there’s usually a wait for a table, especially because they don’t take reservations. The wait time gives you a great opportunity to check out the books on the shelves and the latest art on display. Although this isn’t a location too close to campus, Busboys and Poets is definitely worth the Metro ride.

Address: 2021 14th St., NW (U Street Metro)

Phone: 202-387-7638

Hours: Sunday 9 a.m. to midnight, Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to midnight, Friday 8 to 2 a.m., Saturday 9 to 2 a.m.