Sports in Brief: Lonergan reinforces desire to stay in Atlantic 10

Head men’s basketball coach Mike Lonergan responded Tuesday to talk of the Colonial Athletic Association inviting GW to its ranks by stating that the Atlantic 10 is a better fit for the Colonials, Rivals.com reported.

The Colonial Athletic Association’s move is a sign of the growing instability in collegiate sports conferences, highlighted by the departures of Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Texas Christian University from the Big East. Despite the talk, Lonergan believes the A-10 is a better home for GW, pointing to its historic advantage over the CAA in placing teams in the NCAA tournament.

“I have great respect for the CAA, but I’m really happy where we are,” Lonergan told Rivals.com. “If you look in the past 15 years, the Atlantic 10 is probably averaging three bids a year, and many years the CAA only got one bid or two bids. Obviously with George Mason, VCU, it’s gotten a lot of positive publicity, but I really like the A-10. It’s one of the reasons I took this job. And with the league tournament going to the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn in two years, I only see the A-10 getting stronger. I think that’s going to be a big positive for our conference.”

The Times reported that Stuart Rabinowitz, president of CAA member Hofstra University, and the president of the CAA Council of Presidents and Chancellors, contacted GW, as well as A-10 rivals Charlotte, Richmond and Boston University, to “gauge informally their interest in joining the C.A.A.” The article also stated that the Atlantic 10 is reaching out to different universities about joining the league, including District-rival George Mason and upcoming BB&T Classic opponent Virginia Commonwealth University, both currently CAA members.

Both moves are results of the ongoing shift within conferences, with the outcome hinging on the actions of the Big East as it looks to answer its recent departures. Should that league recruit Atlantic 10 members to round out its numbers, the A-10 will likely either add new members or see universities depart for other conferences. Whatever the outcome, Lonergan is sure of GW’s ability to maintain its position within collegiate sports.

“I’m happy we’re a great academic school in a big media market,” Lonergan said. “I’m hoping no matter what happens we’re attractive, so if something did happen, we’d have some other options. But I’m really happy in the A-10, so I’m hoping nothing changes.”

Upcoming Games

Women’s soccer
vs. Dayton
Mount Vernon Campus
Friday at 4 p.m.

Volleyball
vs. Fordham
Smith Center
Friday at 6 p.m.