Colonials Weekend: Schedule

October 14

Lewis Cotlow Student Research Conference
2 to 5 p.m.
Join the department of anthropology as it holds its annual Lewis N. Cotlow Anthropology Student Research Conference to tout undergraduate and graduate students who received grants for their first-hand field research during summer 2011. A reception will immediately follow the conference.
1957 E St., Room TBD

Eckles Prize Award Reception 
3 p.m.
Come celebrate with the winners and finalists of the 2011 Eckles Prize for Freshman Research Excellence. Enjoy light refreshments as you watch and discuss the winning research projects.
Mount Vernon Campus, Eckles Library

Women’s soccer vs. Dayton
4 p.m.
Take in the charming scenes of D.C. as the Vern Express transports you to the Mount Vernon Campus to cheer on our women’s soccer team as the Colonials play Dayton. All games are free, and buff and blue attire is appreciated.
Mount Vernon Athletic Complex

Eye Street Massage Therapy
3 to 7 p.m.
Looking to de-stress? Relax with a 15-minute seated massage, which combines Swedish, deep tissue and pressure point techniques to help make your weekend even more enjoyable.
Marvin Center, 3rd floor

Selections of classes from “GW’s Best” 
4 to 4:50 p.m.
Julie Ryan: Secrets and spice
Professor Julie Ryan will explain the history and foundations of cryptography, the art and study of writing or solving codes and describe how it is used and misused in e-commerce.
Marvin Center, Room 307

Jo Spear: The arms trade in the 21st century
Come learn about the relationship between the state and defense firms in a globalized international arms market, and see how things have changed since the Cold War.
Marvin Center, Room 308

GW Volleyball vs. Fordham and Colonials Invasion
6 p.m.
See the newly renovated Smith Center while supporting the volleyball team free of charge as it battles Fordham. Don’t leave after the game, because Colonials Invasion, a stimulating spirit event to kick off the season, will be starting immediately afterward. So stay a while, and meet the GW men’s and women’s basketball teams, listen to live music and enjoy giveaways. Box Office opens at 5:00 p.m.
Charles E. Smith Center

Acapellapalooza
8:30 to 10:30 p.m. and 9 to 11 p.m.
Come enjoy the voices of GW’s a cappella groups in the annual charity concert sponsored by the GW Troubadors. Proceeds will help benefit Miriam’s Kitchen, which provides free, homemade meal support services to more than 4,000 homeless men and women each year.
Marvin Center Continental Ballroom and Marvin Center Amphitheatre

October 15

Dean’s Breakfasts
8:30 to 9:45 a.m.
Meet the dean and invited faculty members of your child’s school.

Columbian College of Arts and Sciences:
Marvin Center Columbian Square

Elliott School of International Affairs:
1957 E St., 2nd Floor Atrium

School of Business:
Duques Hall, 1st Floor

School of Engineering and Applied Science:
Tompkins Hall

School of Public Health and Health Services:
Marvin Center, Room 310

Walking the spirit of black Foggy Bottom
Noon to 2 p.m.
Embark on a one-mile-long tour to see the best of African American history in D.C. Visit 33 sites in and around the Foggy Bottom Campus. Led by Assistant Vice President for D.C. Relations, Bernard Demczuk, you can learn about the impact and significance of African Americans in the capital. RSVP by calling 202-994-5465.
Departing from the Marvin Center GW Bookstore, ground floor

2011 Colonials Weekend
Keepsake Photo

Noon to 4 p.m.
Stop by to take computer portraits and a digital video with your family, so you can all remember Colonials Weekend 2011.
Marvin Center, 1st Floor Lobby

October 16

Colonials Weekend jazz brunch
9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Experience the wonderful duo of food and live jazz music, hosted by GW’s radio station WRGW. Cost: Adults – $25, Children 12 years and under – $12.95
Marvin Center

Sunday brunch at the Mount Vernon Campus
9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
You better be hungry on Sunday morning, because the Mount Vernon Campus is continuing the tradition of an all-you-can-eat buffet, including assorted beverages, scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast, breakfast potatoes, lunch entrees, breakfast meats, pizza, a salad bar and omelets. Cost: $7.25 per person, and an additional $1.50 for made-to-order omelets
Mount Vernon Campus Pelham Commons, West Hall

9th annual Foggy Bottom and West End neighborhood block party
1 to 4 p.m.
Join FRIENDS, a community group whose purpose is to promote positive dialogue between GW and its neighbors, and over 100 booths from local D.C. businesses, restaurants, groups and institutions for a fun-filled afternoon.
Eye Street Mall