Metro receives proposals to rename four stations

The Office of the City Administrator submitted four station name change recommendations to Metro that the transit agency will review at its next board meeting.

Various boards, commissions and neighborhood groups submitted about 40 different recommendations to the District Department of Transportation for Metro station renames over the past year, Aaron Overman, acting associate director for DDOT, said.

DDOT compiled and analyzed the name-change suggestions and passed along options to the Office of the City Administrator, which offered the final recommendations to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.

The four suggestions include changing the Smithsonian stop to the “National Mall,” station, following requests from the National Park Service to alter the name.

“Waterfront – SEU,” on the Green line will switch to “Waterfront – Arena Stage,” if Metro adopts the changes. Southeastern University shut down in 2009, so the station’s name is no longer accurate, Overman said.

“Navy Yard” would turn into “Navy Yard – Ballpark” after the nearby Nationals Park, and “New York Ave. – Florida Ave. – Gallaudet U.” would become “New York Ave. – NoMa,” with a subtitle of “Gallaudet University.”

“[NoMa is] a very very fast-growing, dynamic neighborhood, so office of planning was really pushing this one,” Overman said, referring to the area north of Massachusetts Avenue and east of North Capitol Street.

DDOT initially received a proposal to add a “Kennedy Center” subtitle to the Foggy Bottom – GWU Metro station’s name, but the performing art center’s leadership ultimately decided it was not prepared to help foot the $100,000 cost.

Overman said none of the renaming pitches will move forward without a “commitment from the District” for some of the funding.

Metro officials will review the suggestions at its next board meeting this week, WMATA spokesman Dan Stessel said.

Three of the four renaming requests comply with Metro’s 19-character cap for station names, a policy WMATA’s board proposed in July.