Idol raises money for breast cancer

Pia Toscano donated a dress she wore during the 10th season of "American Idol" to the Hard Rock Café's music memorabilia collection. Samantha Hatton | Hatchet photographer.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Samantha Hatton.

Her fans from across America were shocked when she was eliminated from the 10th season of “American Idol,” but Pia Toscano’s powerful voice has  kept her on the path to success since.

At the Hard Rock Café Thursday night, Toscano lent her strong vocals to Pinktober, a series of live music events run by the Hard Rock to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness Month through October.

Toscano donated a dress that she wore on “American Idol” and during the Idol National Tour. The donation generated $2,000 for that night’s recipient organization, City of Hope, which raises money for research, treatment and education in the fight against cancer.

The Hard Rock Café also auctioned off a Pinktober T-shirt and an autographed poster of Toscano, which brought in another $400 for the cause.

Toscano began her performance with a cover of Alicia Keys’ “Superwoman” as a shout out to women fighting breast cancer.

She also covered a range of other famous titles, including “Paparazzi” by Lady Gaga, “Lady Marmalade” and “I’ll Stand By You,” the first song she sang on American Idol. She also preformed her first single, “This Time,” which is currently available for purchase on iTunes.