Profile on Style: Bring on the layers

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Regina Fong.

Profile on Style is a weekly post that explores the motivations behind GW’s fashion trends. We’ll show you the most interesting aspects of GW style, and then try to make some sense of it all. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around because you might become the latest trendsetter.

Grace Son. Regina Fong | Hatchet photographer.

Name: Grace Son
Year: 2014
Hometown: Cerritos, Calif.
Major: International affairs with a concentration in global health
Inspiration: Clean and simple style
Outfit: Coat, Michael Kors; sweater, Kenneth Cole; jeans, United Colors of Benetton; shoes, Marshalls; earrings, Korea

Pea coats are comfortable and casual, but if you want to try something a little different this season then think about investing in a trench coat. Comfortable, versatile and timeless, the trench is everything you want in an article of clothing. Here, Grace Son is wearing a fold-over sweater underneath her coat. The fold-over is entirely unique and a good way to change up the look. Worn over a pair of jeans and a cute peep-toe heel, she is ready for day and night.

Kadie Ross. Regina Fong | Hatchet photographer.

Name: Kadie Ross
Year: 2012
Hometown: D.C.
Major: History
Inspiration: European style
Outfit: Glasses, Kate Spade; scarf, Italy; jacket, Miu Miu; denim shirt, J.Crew; sweater dress, American Apparel; boots, Prada; tights, Neiman Marcus; rings, Palmetto; bag, Marc Jacobs

Don’t let the sudden drop in temperature force you to pull out the oversized hoodie and sweats look. Instead, look at your closet and think about pieces from the summer and spring that you can use in the fall and winter. Layer different colors and prints together and you will find yourself with several different outfits you didn’t even know you had. Here, Kadie is wearing a black and white striped sweater dress, with a denim button-down shirt over and a very chic coat on top. She is also wearing a floral print scarf that throws in a little color and ties the look together.