Dias posts victory at ITA All-American men’s tennis championship

Freshman Francisco Dias, a Lisbon, Portugal native, is currently ranked as the as the 10th rated newcomer in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. | Courtesy of GW Sports Information

Freshman Francisco Dias won his first qualifying match at the ITA/D’Novo All-American Men’s Tennis Championship on Monday.

The win will advance the No. 954 player in the world to the next round of play tomorrow. Dias posted a 6-3, 6-2 victory over his Purdue opponent, Diego Acosta.

The Colonials entered the first qualifying rounds Monday after spending the weekend competing in pre-qualifying action at the tournament. Dias will face Georgia’s Hernus Pieters, the 107th-ranked singles player in the ITA on Tuesday at 11 a.m, and will also team up with senior Ugur Atalay to compete in doubles play at 4 p.m.

“Francisco’s serve is such a weapon,” head coach Greg Munoz said. “He overcame a bit of nerves in the beginning and overpowered Acosta to the end.”

Sophomore Ulrik Thomsen also competed in singles play today, but dropped his match 6-0, 6-2 to Texas Tech’s Vitor Manzini. Thomsen will have a chance to earn a bid to the Indoor National Championships with a win in the consolation round Tuesday, and will team up with junior Alexander Van Gils for two doubles matches. They must win both to advance to Wednesday’s play.