Sports in Brief

Weir finishes ninth at George Mason Invitational

The women’s cross country team finished sixth of eight at the George Mason Invitational, paced by junior Julia Weir, who finished ninth of 73 runners, her best individual performance of her career as a Colonial.

Weir finished the 6K course in 25:53, averaging 6:25 per mile. Freshmen Kathryn Luker and Paige Peltan were next across the line for GW, both posting a time of 25:17, finishing 32nd and 33rd, respectively. Junior Heather Stevens rounded out GW’s top four, finishing the course in 25:31 for 39th place.

Sophomore Jackson Carnes was the top performer for the men’s cross country team, finishing the 8K course in 27:10 for 23rd place. Freshman Marco Siragusa followed in 56th place in 28:51, and freshman John Perrino (62nd, 29:56) and senior Scott Garrett (57th, 30:10) completed the field for the men’s squad, who did not have enough runners to qualify for team score.

GW next heads to the Leopard Invitational in Easton, Pa., Oct. 15.

Rookie ranked by Assoc. of Tennis Professionals

Freshman Francisco Dias was ranked No. 954 in the world by the Association of Tennis Professionals last week, coinciding with his ranking as the 10th rated newcomer in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

He increased five slots in the ATP rankings from his previous spot at No. 959.

Dias is only the third player in school history to be ranked by the ATP. The Lisbon-native has won three national championships and is currently ranked No. 8 in the Portugal. He is the only player in Portugal’s history to earn four ATP rankings by the age of 17.

Dias made his collegiate debut last weekend with the Colonials, teaming up with senior Ugur Atalay in the UVA Ranked Plus One Tournament.

Number Crunch: 86

The number of cumulative points the women’s swimming team earned at the Potomac Invite, finishing second overall.

This article was updated Oct. 4, 2011 to reflect the following changes:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported in a caption that Francisco Dias was ranked No. 8 for tennis in the United States. He is in fact ranked No. 8 in Portugal.