Adopt-a-doc program seeks to expand personalized aid

Dr. Russell Libby was born in the GW Hospital, raised in the District and attended the School of Medical and Health Sciences. Since graduating in 1979, he has wanted to feel more connected to his alma mater.

Looking for a way to give back to the University that defined his academic career, Libby and his family adopted an incoming medical student.

First-year medical student Allison Hoff said she was shocked to learn that she was adopted by Libby, and that she was the recipient of the family’s $40,000 award.

“I remember when I found out I received the scholarship. I was in an Internet café overseas, checking my e-mail. It was a huge, wonderful surprise,” Hoff said.

The Adopt-A-Doc scholarship program allows donors to give directly to the tuition of an incoming student. To join, donors must give at least $20,000 over four years.

“Medical schools need support to create people who can be meaningful to society, whether they are treating one patient or implementing health policy that will impact a great deal of people,” Libby said.

He hopes his contribution will relieve the financial burden of the “arduous process” of medical school.

“Dr. Libby was one of the first people I met when I moved to D.C. He took me out to dinner with his brother, sister and wife,” Hoff said. “I felt like part of the family. They were very welcoming and supportive.”

The individual interaction is the most rewarding part of the Adopt-A-Doc scholarship, Hoff said.

There are currently three donors – all alumni – and three recipients participating in the Adopt-A-Doc program. Director of Medical Center Development and Alumni Relations Lynn Rozental said she aims to have 10 donors contributing to the program by the close of the academic year.

“The sky is the limit,” she said.