Sports in Brief

Athletic department announces two new hires

The Department of Athletics announced additional personnel changes this week, promoting Andre Julien to Associate Athletic Director for Health and Wellness and hiring Brett Graskewitz as Assistant Director of Intramural Sports.

Julien has served as Assistant Athletic Director since 2001, and manages the business and financial operations at both Lerner Health and Wellness Center and the West Hall fitness center on the Mount Vernon campus. Graskewitz comes to Foggy Bottom from Ball State University, where he worked as a graduate assistant for sports facilities and informal recreation.

“Recreation and club sports are an important part of our students’ lives, and are a key part of our department,” athletic director Patrick Nero said. “Andre and Brett will strengthen the department’s support of recreation programs and facilities.”

Julien’s current responsibilities for the two recreational facilities he manages include oversight of budgets, financial operations, contract negotiations, business development, human resources and strategic facility planning. He also serves as supervisor for the varsity squash program.

Julien, who received a master’s degree in exercise science and health management from George Mason University, previously worked as athletics and recreation operations manager and assistant director for fitness at Georgetown University.

Graskewitz earned his master’s degree in sports administration from Ball State. While there, he helped plan a $39 million recreation and wellness center that opened in 2010.

GW finishes 10th at Hartford Hawks Invite

The men’s golf team finished 10th of 17 at the three-round Hartford Hawks Invitational Tuesday, totaling a 54-hole score of 57-over par 921 at the par-72 Bulls Bridge Golf Club in South Kent, Conn.

Senior Andres Pumariega was tied for 29th with a 6-over par 150 through two rounds, and shot an impressive 1-over 73 in the third round for 7-over 223, finishing tied for 19th. He was followed by fellow senior Martin Liu, who finished finish 49th overall. Senior Taylor Fuqua and junior Brennan Wallman rounded out GW’s top four, finishing 61st and 68th, respectively.

The Colonials next head to Morganton, N.C., for the Donald Ross Intercollegiate Invitational Oct. 17.

This post has been updated to reflect the following:
Based off incorrect information from a source, The Hatchet reported that the Colonials totaled a 56-hole score. It was a 54-hole score.

Upcoming Game

Women’s Soccer
at St. Bonaventure
Orlean, N.Y.
Friday at 3 p.m.