UYard hosts D.C.’s largest vegetarian celebration

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Nicole Butler

D.C. VegFest, an annual outdoor festival sponsored by the Vegetarian Society of D.C. and Compassion Over Killing, brought thousands to University Yard on Saturday for the District’s largest vegetarian and vegan event.

Terri Lukens-Gable (right), a vegetarian blogger from Pennsylvania, participates in a cupcake eating contest hosted by Sticky Fingers bakery at the VegFest in University Yard Saturday afternoon. Michelle Rattinger | Senior Photo Editor

From 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., crowds sampled vegan pudding and curry, browsed booths for animal justice and eco-friendly eating and learned how to perfect vegan Thai rolls and yogurtless parfaits from local chefs.

Seventy-five vendors packed the yard, selling T-shirts that read “Meat sucks” and nachos sprinkled with vegan cheese. Giant displays of baby animals stuck out from the display of tables promoting a meatless lifestyle.

Dozens gathered around 1 p.m. to watch Sticky Fingers Bakery’s cupcake eating battle. Contestants of all ages furiously devoured five cupcakes without using their hands or any utensils.

Alumna Dawn Moncrieffe, who is now founder and executive director of A Well-Fed World, a D.C.-based food justice and animal protection organization, said students have the ability to make small changes at GW that will eventually shape their futures.

“As students there is a lot of power to change policy within the Marvin Center and the food centers,” Moncrieffe said. “There are a lot of students, and GW as an institution is very powerful institution. As students graduate and go into their fields, that impact can trickle down.”

Vegetarian Society of D.C. President Saurabh Dalal said those who attended could “feel great about how easy it is to be a vegetarian today.”