Group protests socialism in Kogan Plaza

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Dominique Bonessi.

The American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property gathered in Kogan Plaza with flags and signs this afternoon to campaign against socialism.

Although most of the banner-draped campaigners were not students, the group hoped to recruit more college-aged activists, the Student Action Director John Ritchie said.

Damien Murphy, 15, left, James Slobodinik, 26, middle, and Alexander NcKay, 18, right, part of the American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property, play the bagpipes in Kogan Plaza during their Student Action Protest. Muna Abdulkader | Hatchet Photographer

The group equated socialism to communism in Kogan Plaza and distributed pamphlets that said “socialism violates human nature, scorns honor, promotes atheism and opposes traditional marriage.”

The organization hosts events throughout the year to promote its vision of “authentic” freedom, Ritchie said.

“Central to our mission is the idea that various crises threatening American society and the Church cannot be seen as separated or disjointed. Rather they originate from a single cause,” according to the group’s website.

The national organization, headquartered in Mclean, Va., dates back to 1971 when the group started a publication called “Crusaders for Christian Civilization.”  

The group will hold a prayer rally in the District on Oct. 15.