Sara Fischer and Terricia Soyombo: Join the growing Panhellenic community

Friday evening marks the first day of the 2011 Panhellenic Association formal sorority recruitment process. With more than 700 women registered to participate so far, we are anticipating one of the biggest and most successful recruitment processes at GW to date.

The Panhellenic community, 1,200 women strong, is one of the most far-reaching and influential organizations on campus. Women in Greek life have an advantage when it comes to finding their niches at school, as they have access to professional and networking opportunities, hundreds of social events and a plethora of academic resources.

Recruitment is also an opportunity to connect with women who are leaders in various organizations both on and off campus. It will give potential new members a chance to meet other peers and make new friends. Above all, it is an opportunity for women to become a part of a larger group of people who share their values.

Since 1980, the Panhellenic executive council, Greek life staff, recruitment counselors and chapter members have worked diligently to prepare for formal recruitment every fall.

This year we made amendments to the process to ensure that it is enjoyable and easy for our prospective members. With added time between rounds, more preference round options and better trained Pi Rho Chis, we hope to make our four-day recruitment weekend both fun and manageable for everyone involved.

While some might believe that Greek life is not for everyone, it is an opportunity that cannot be fully appreciated unless it is experienced. Formal recruitment only occurs once a year, and that’s in the fall. Though a few sororities do choose to host a continuous open bidding process in the spring, the number of spots in those houses is limited, and there are fewer houses for women to find the strongest possible match. If you miss out now, you might regret it in the future.

We could not be more excited to expand our Panhellenic community, and we continue to welcome our new members into the larger Greek life community. We encourage anyone interested in recruitment to register through our website at www.gwpanhel.com or to e-mail us at [email protected] with any questions.

Try it, live it and we’re sure you’ll love it. Join Panhellenic.

Sara Fisher and Terricia Soyombo are the president and vice president of panhellenic recruitment of the GW Panhellenic Association, respectively.