Senators call for free condoms in residence halls

Sa meeting, Marika Lee, Allied in Pride, condoms
Marika Lee, vice president of Allied in Pride, lobbies senators Josh Goldstein and Cory Grever to sponsor a condom dispenser bill. File photo

The Student Association unanimously approved a resolution Monday calling for the University to install and maintain free condom dispensers on campus.

Sen. Josh Goldstein, U-CCAS , wrote the Be Safe Act after Allied in Pride members lobbied for the program at last week’s senate meeting.

“The bill is the easy part,” Goldstein said.

Goldstein, the chair of the SA Student Life Committee, met with his committee and members of Allied in Pride Sunday night to finalize the proposal. The bill calls for University action to fund and maintain condom dispensers, but does not include a timeline for when this program should be implemented. SA resolutions have no binding power for the University, so for the condom program to go forward, GW must implement it.

The D.C. Department of Public Health will supply the condoms for free, Allied in Pride’s vice president, Marika Lee, said. She estimated the program would cost a few thousand dollars to start up, including the cost of the dispensers and installation, but did not provide a specific breakdown of expenses.

Fourteen campus groups also support the proposal – including GW College Democrats, Organization of Latino American Students and the GW chapter of the National Organization for Women – Lee said.

The senate also passed a bill clarifying language in the Finance Committee bylaws.

Finance committee chair John Bennett, U-At Large, said the previous wording made it appear that the committee would allocate a full 85 percent of its budget during the first round of funding allocations.

The bylaws now state the committee will allocate “up to, but no more than 85 percent” of the SA budget.