Women’s soccer earns scrappy win

Head coach Tanya Vogel has been waiting to see her team respond well to adversity, looking for a moment when they claw their way back from falling behind. She finally saw the depth of her team’s spirit Sept. 16, when the Colonials refused to bow in defeat to Gardner-Webb, fighting their way to a 2-1 victory.

The Colonials (3-5) allowed the Runnin’ Bulldogs a penalty kick just 42 seconds into the second half. After a scoreless first, Gardner-Webb converted the kick and the Colonials found themselves in a one-goal hole. Though Vogel didn’t agree with the call that put her squad behind, she turned to her team to emphasize one thing: it was time to utilize their strong play to battle back.

“I’ll tell you, the girls played really well. We went down another [penalty kick] from what looked like a phantom handball call,” Vogel said. “We knew that we were playing well, though, and that we would be able to come back.”

The tide turned in GW’s favor 18 minutes later, when the Colonials were allowed a penalty kick of their own. The kick was GW’s first of the season, though the Colonials’ collective opposition has taken five. Junior Adriana Moya lined up her shot and zipped it past the Gardner-Webb goaltender, knotting the score at one. She now leads the Colonials’ offense with three goals, three assists and nine points through eight matches.

“We gave up another one today,” Vogel said. “It was nice to get a penalty kick for ourselves this game and Moya came through.”

After tying the score in the 74th minute, GW continued to pressure Gardner-Webb, scoring just one minute and 47 seconds after their first goal. Moya continued to provide the offensive catalyst for the Colonials, angling a pass to freshman Taylor Katz, who was able to convert it into the game-winning goal.

The Colonials offensive front was supported by a strong backline, holding Gardner-Webb to just seven shots, denying them the chance to establish a steady offensive rhythm. In turn, the Colonials took 22 shots throughout the game, including 15 in the second half alone that forced the Runnin’ Bulldogs to collapse on the goal and neglect offense.

“Honestly, it was the best game we played all year. I know that we are talented and they know that they are a talented team. Now it’s time for us to put it all together and prove it,” Vogel said. “We will have a lot of work to do this week.”

The Colonials will take a week off before hosting Liberty University Sept. 23, with play scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.