Night Life: Sporty

For sports enthusiasts (or those who aspire to be), there is no shortage of outlets in D.C. for your spirited energy. Whether you’re looking to attend local sporting events or catch a game with a bite to eat at a sports bar, The Hatchet’s got you covered.

Headliners

Rhino Bar

Although branded as a Boston sports bar, any sports fan can find what they’re looking for at Rhino Bar. Comfortable, classic and located in Georgetown, it offers a friendly neighborhood atmosphere without feeling small or constricted. Come here to watch all college football games (Ohio State and Penn State fans are particularly welcomed), the Philadelphia Flyers and, of course, the Boston Red Sox. The downside? There are sure to be a few Hoya fans there. Check for daily specials.

Hours: Monday through Thursday, 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., Friday 5 p.m. to 3 a.m., Saturday noon to 3 a.m., Sunday noon to 2 a.m.
202-333-3150 | 3295 M St., NW

51st State Tavern

There’s something to be said for a homey sports bar closer to campus. For New York fans, 51st State is D.C.’s main place to follow the Giants, Jets, Buffalo Bills, Yankees and Mets. There is a full bar and food menu, but the specials are really something – $3 to $3.50 beer and rails, $3.75 Smirnoff mixed drinks and $5.75 Smirnoff martinis for happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m., seven days a week. Save your hunger for Tuesdays and bring all your friends early to chow down – wings are 20 cents each from 4 to 11 p.m.

Hours: Sunday through Thursday 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. (during football season, open at 12:30 on Sundays), Friday through Saturday 4 p.m. to 3 a.m.

202-625-2444 | 2512 L St., NW

Activity

A Game

Go to an actual game! Keep an eye out for sporting events around GW and the city. Check for student discounts if you’re venturing off campus, since a lot of sport events (like Nationals games) offer deals to students.

Ventnor Sports Cafe

This Adams Morgan sports bar with a lively atmosphere is a destination not only on game days, but also for their daily food and drink specials. Home to D.C. fans of all Philadelphia teams, Ventnor also shows all college and professional football games, particularly for fans of the Eagles, Steelers, Bears, UNC, Texas and Syracuse. If you’re there on a Friday or Saturday with friends, get a fishbowl and take a silly photo drinking from it – whoever wins the photo competition wins bragging rights and maybe even a prize.

• Hours: Monday through Thursday 5 p.m. to 2 a.m., Saturday noon to 3 a.m., and Sunday noon to 2 a.m.

202-234-3070 | 2411 18th St., NW

Late-Night Grub

Manouch hot dog

It may not be game time, but it can still be hot dog time! Find Manouch’s food stand around campus and get your hot dog fix for your sporty mood. Generally, look for him Thursday through Saturday after 10 p.m. outside the CVS at 2000 Penn.