Night Life: Quirky & Fun

Sometimes you just wanna do something strange, fun or crazy. Try some of these next time a sense of adventure strikes.

Headline

The Gibson
Your first time approaching the unmarked black door of this speakeasy-style bar, you will wonder what the magic password is. There’s no password but reservations are recommended at this vintage, glamorous, intimate establishment. Everything that Dan’s Café is, the Gibson is not. This is where you get the nice, expertly-crafted cocktail, guaranteed to be an interesting and delicious concoction unlike anything you’ve ever tasted. One may set you back a few extra dollars, but it’s worth it. Guests are required to be seated in a booth or a bar, so it’s a good place to relax and converse.
Hours: Open daily at 6 p.m., call to inquire about closing hours
202-232-2156 | 2009 14th St., NW | Metro: U Street

Dinner & Activity

H Street Country Club
Tired of the usual dinner and movie? How about dinner and…mini golf? This is the only miniature golf course in the District, and also provides a rare opportunity to sample your inner child’s coordination after a drink or two. The cuisine is Mexican, so have a sit-down meal with margaritas or dig into appetizers at the bar. Sunday through Tuesday, mini golf is free with an entrée purchase; all other times, it’s $7 to play.
Hours: Sunday through Thursday 5 p.m. to 2 a.m., Friday and Saturday 5 p.m. to 3 a.m.
202-399-4722 1335 H St., NE | Metro: New York Ave.

Pre-game

Dan’s Cafe
For those looking to get a little crazy after a long week, this Adams Morgan café does the job. It is a true dive bar, but in a great, glorious way. They specialize in cheap, straight booze. Buy pints of liquor and separate mixers for mix-your-own drinks (with an ice bucket), or a strong shooter concoction in ketchup-squeeze style bottles so your group can serve your own shots. Get there early for seats. Cash only. 
Hours: Tuesday through Thursday 7 p.m. to 2 a.m., Friday and Saturday 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.

202-365-0299 |  2315 18th St., NW

Late-Night

Kramer’s Books & Afterwords Cafe
As a chill late-night hangout, you might want to reserve this Dupont tradition for an ending to some of your more sober nights, or just head over anytime you have a late-night dessert craving. Kramer’s is a bookstore, but where else can you also enjoy coffee, a slice of pie, cocktails and live music alongside literary stimulation?
Hours: Open Sunday through Thursday until 1 a.m., Friday and Saturday 24 hours
202-387-1462 | 1517 Connecticut Ave. NW