Men’s basketball top-scorer picked as ‘most underrated’ player in Atlantic 10

Tony Taylor
Then-junior guard Tony Taylor battles his way to the basket in last season's first round of the A-10 tournament against Saint Joseph's in March. Taylor will take the court for GW in the upcoming season as last season's top-scorer. | File Photo

Senior guard Tony Taylor was picked as the A-10’s most underrated player by Slamonline.com, which described him as “one of the league’s toughest matchups.”

The site also predicts that GW will finish ninth of 14 in the league, calling the hiring of new head coach Mike Lonergan a move designed to “get the Colonials back to the top of the conference.”

Taylor was the Colonials top-scorer last season, averaging 14.8 points per game, and was third in the Atlantic 10 in assists per game with 4.6, earning recognition on the all-conference second-team in March. Taylor was GW’s top offensive weapon, scoring a career-high 28 against La Salle to open A-10 play and scoring in double figures in all but three conference games for the Colonials. He applied for early entry into the 2011 NBA Draft, but withdrew his name, and was later named the most valuable player for the men’s basketball team.

The Colonials announced their full schedule for the upcoming season and are coming off their best season in the past four years, posting a 17-14 overall record and a 10-6 mark in Atlantic 10 play, good enough for a tie for fourth place in the final conference standings. GW lost in the first round of the conference tournament to 12th seeded Saint Joseph’s, the second time in two years the Colonials qualified for the league tournament before falling in the first round.