Burger Tap and Shake to open in The Avenue

A new burger shop with late-night hours will open next week with offerings of upscale burgers and ice cream-based cocktails.

Jeff Tucks, a partner at Passion Food Hospitality, the company that owns Burger, Tap & Shake, said they are aiming for a Sept. 18 opening.

“We’re at a modern price point to stay competitive,” he said. “Our main burger is called the ‘six-buck chuck,’ which we’re grinding fresh every day.”

The eatery will accept GWorld.

The menu includes seven burgers with toppings including fresh mashed avocado, house-made Texas chili, thick Tennessee bacon and cheese varieties including buttermilk blue from Wisconsin and Maine. Ground chicken burgers and house-made falafel will also be offered.

The “tap” side of BTS serves up 20 different American beers, while also providing bottled beer.

Burger, Tap & Shake will share a kitchen with the upscale District Commons, which will not open with the new burger bar. Staff at District Commons will ring a cast-iron farm bell each evening at about 10 p.m. to announce “family meal time,” when diners and restaurant staff will sit down for a group meal at the end of the night. Unlike Burger, Tap & Shake, District Commons does not plan to accept GWorld.

The Avenue brought several new restaurants this fall, expanding food options close to campus with the Whole Foods Market – a grocery store that also offers prepared and made-to-order foods. Roti Mediterranean Grill, also in the plaza, serves up options like hummus, pita, kabobs and falafel in several plate- and sandwich-style options.

CIRCA, a modern bistro at The Avenue, is open for brunch, lunch, dinner and drinks, and also features a late-night menu.

For the health-conscious, Sweetgreen creates salads using local and organic ingredients.

Devon & Blakely, a Manhattan-based sandwich, salad and soup chain, can also be found at 2200 Pennsylvania Avenue.