Staff Editorial: A model for advising

GW School of Business advising has restructured itself in response to the University’s new degree auditing system.

Under the new structure, school of business advisers will teach courses and assume more specialty roles, focusing on specific components of student life, such as study abroad.

This fresh set of business school advising changes speaks to the school’s dedication to constantly improving and meeting the evolving needs of its students and its field.

The rest of the University should attempt to keep up with the school of business’ pace of change and progress when it comes to advising. The school of business wasn’t the only school to pilot the degree audit system, but it did respond the most swiftly to the new role that advisers play. All the schools in the University will be benefiting from the degree audit system, and they should also work to restructure their advising systems as a result.

After the degree audit system launches Sept. 14, Columbian College of Arts and Sciences advisers, who are a part of the biggest school at GW, will be less needed to provide insights on credit completion and more for specialty information about departments and courses.

Freshmen today have fewer general curriculum requirements than students have had in the past, so Columbian College students may not take as wide a range of classes. As a result, the need for Columbian College advisers that have a vast knowledge of all departments is more important than ever. Advisers in the Columbian College should encourage students to take the same spectrum of classes students were once required to help them realize their ideal major or focus.

The School of Business advising restructure is an ultimately strong move in response to a changing system. Hopefully the other schools in the University will also see the importance of taking swift steps to readjust their own advising structures.