Full 2011-2012 men’s basketball schedule announced

The men’s basketball program released a challenging 2011-2012 schedule today, highlighted by 15 opponents that advanced to postseason play last March. The schedule is a sign of new head coach Mike Lonergan’s efforts to challenge his program, a challenging slate of opponents designed to strengthen the team and improve its chances of success within the Atlantic 10.

Tony Taylor
Rhode Island will be the first A-10 opponent to travel to the Smith Center in the upcoming season. Last year, GW posted a 66-55 victory over the Rams at Rhode Island. | File Photo

The upcoming season will be the first under Lonergan, and GW will play 14 of their 30 regular-season games at the Smith Center. Of those 14, six will feature opponents that reached the postseason, including NCAA Tournament teams UAB, Richmond and Xavier.

“We’ll be challenging our student-athletes with very difficult non-conference games to go along with the rigorous Atlantic 10 schedule,” Lonergan said. “This schedule should prepare us to be at our best heading into the A-10 tournament and for what hopefully will be some important late-season games come March.”

GW’s season will again kick off with an exhibition game against Bowie State, hosting the Bulldogs Nov. 6. Lonergan’s first season will officially begin five days later, when the Colonials host the University of Maryland Eastern Shore Nov. 11.

From there, GW will swing into its previously announced non-conference schedule. The program will play its next six games away from home, beginning with the CBE Classic, where the Colonials will travel to the University of California Nov. 13, a matinee game that will be broadcast on ESPNU. GW will complete the tournament by travling to Bowling Green, Oh., playing three games in three days against Detriot, Austin Peay and Bowling Green.

GW will conclude its road trip Dec. 1 at Kansas State before heading back to the District to take on 2011 NCAA Final Four Participant VCU in the annual BB&T Classic, held in the Verizon Center.

The Colonials will return to the Smith Center to host Loyola University Maryland Dec. 7, pitting Lonergan against former Catholic University teammate and roommate Jimmy Patsos, the head coach of the Greyhounds. GW returns to the road Dec. 10 to take on Big East powerhouse Syracuse, where assistant director of basketball operations Maurice Joseph’s younger brother, Kris Joseph, is a forward for the Orange.

The Colonials enter a four-game home stretch upon their return from Syracuse, hosting Bradley Dec. 15, James Madison Dec. 22, UAB Dec. 28 and Delaware State Dec. 31. GW will complete its non-conference schedule Jan. 14 at Harvard, who narrowly defeated the Colonials at home last season.

GW will open Atlantic 10 play Jan. 4 at St. Bonaventure, then traveling to Saint Louis Jan. 7 before hosting its first conference opponent when Rhode Island travels to Foggy Bottom Jan. 11. The Colonials will also host Xavier, Richmond, Duquesne, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s (the team that knockedGW out of last season’s A-10 tournament with an overtime victory in the first round), Charlotte and La Salle. GW will also travel to Richmond, Temple, Dayton, Fordham, Charlotte and La Salle.

The Colonials’ full A-10 schedule is listed below, with opponents in bold. Announced starting times for games are listed, all other tip-off times will be announced at a later date.

at. St. Bonaventure, Jan. 4

at Saint Louis, Jan. 7

vs. Rhode Island, Jan. 11

vs. Richmond, Jan. 18

vs. Charlotte, Jan 21

at. La Salle, Jan. 25

at Fordham, Jan. 28. 1 p.m.

vs. Xavier, Feb. 1

vs. Massachusetts, Feb. 4

at Temple, Feb. 8

at Richmond, Feb. 11, 5 p.m.

vs. Saint Joseph’s, Feb. 18

at Charlotte, Feb. 22

vs. Duquesne, Feb. 25

vs. La Salle, Feb. 29

at Dayton, March 3, 12 p.m.