Bed bugs infest JBKO room

Bed bugs have infested one room in JBKO, a University spokesperson said Friday.

University spokesperson Michelle Sherrard said the isolated case is being treated, but declined to disclose the floor of the affected room.

Treatments will take place over the next four weeks to fully exterminate both the bugs and their eggs.

The residents are still living in their room to avoid spreading the insects to other areas, Sherrard said.

“Students suspecting bed bugs should immediately submit a FIXit ticket so GW pest-control technicians can perform an on-site inspection,” she said. “GW has been successful in eradicating pests from known confirmed areas and additional occurrences have been kept to a minimum.”

The students with confirmed cases will receive bed bug bite-proof mattress encasements rather than new mattresses. The plastic bags for bed linens, along with interceptor collars for bed posts, allow Residential Property Management to track bug movement from floors to beds.

Encasements also avoid the potential risk of spreading the bugs while disposing of an infected mattress.

Sherrard also said the University will send out reminders and post signs to inform students about bed bugs and how to avoid picking them up while on trips or during breaks.

The majority of potential bed bug cases reported at GW turn out to be negative after officials inspect the rooms, she said.

Last November, six rooms experienced bed bug issues across five different residence halls. Multiple government buildings in the District also saw infestations, while New York City saw an outbreak as well.