Hatchet named an ACP finalist for best non-daily newspaper

Gabriella Demczuk | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The Associated Collegiate Press named The GW Hatchet a Pacemaker national finalist in two categories Thursday – best overall newspaper and multimedia.

The independent newspaper is one of 24 newspapers competing for the coveted title of best four-year non-daily newspaper.

Entries are judged on coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership on the opinion page, evidence of in-depth reporting, layout and design and photography, art and graphics.

The Hatchet’s Gabriella Demczuk was named a finalist for her multimedia feature on Danceworks and received two honorable mentions for her stories on the equestrian team and the annual Allied in Pride Drag Ball. Demczuk also received an honorable mention for her photo of a protester picketing the White House last January.

Students release ballons enscribed with messages for Taylor Hubbard, the sophomore who died in May 2010 after a fall from a fifth floor window, into the air. Chris Gregory | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Alumnus Chris Gregory also received an honorable mention for his photo of the Taylor Hubbard vigil held last year.

The Hatchet took home the Newspaper Pacemaker award in 2005 and 2008 and the Online Pacemaker Award in 2006, 2008 and 2010.

Winners will be announced on Oct. 29.