Tracking technology added to Vern Express

Students can now track Vern Express shuttles online and through text messages to receive estimated arrival times.

International Limousine – the company that runs the fleet – installed the GPS tracking technology to improve students’ experience with the Vern Express, Wendy Martino, interim director of transportation and parking services, said.

“We believe that providing additional information regarding shuttle operations through this GPS tracking system will allow us to do this and give students comfort in the Vern as a quality transportation service,” Martino said.

Students can text “GWShuttle” to “41411” with the Vern Express stop’s designated location number to receive an estimated shuttle arrival time. A website, www.gwshuttles.com, also tracks the vans on a map.

GW will also launch a mobile application to track the Vern Express “in the next few weeks,” Martino said.

Martino said the technology was installed in line with GW’s contract with International Limousine. She declined to comment on potential extra charges for the service.

The University has been working to install a similar system on its 4-RIDE fleet, but that process has seen multiple deadline extensions and has been widely touted – unlike the unpublicized Vern Express upgrade, which was first announced Friday. University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard declined to comment on how long the Vern Express system has been in development.