Students who throw objects off City Hall balconies risk losing housing, University says

City Hall, balconies, cameras
Newly installed security cameras point toward the balconies of City Hall residents to curb bottle hurling onto the nearby streets and yards. Francis Rvera | Assistant Photo Editor

The University warned City Hall residents who live in balcony rooms that they risk losing housing if objects are tossed off their terraces, three days after sending out an e-mail to students saying security cameras were installed to monitor the building after a handful of vandalism incidents.

Three surveillance cameras were mounted to watch the building’s balconies following five reported cases where students chucked beer and whiskey bottles off their terraces that then smashed on nearby streets and yards. A sign posted on balcony doors Monday told students if they opened their balcony, they could lose their housing assignment.

Originally, the University sent a warning e-mail to students and said if the incidents continue despite the cameras, residents might lose balcony access. After the first signs were placed, a second sign was added saying residents can enter their balconies as long as they do not throw any objects – a backtrack from the initial posting.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said Facilities Management posted the original sign, adding that she is still looking into the incident.