Men’s basketball earns first 2012-2013 recruit commitment

recruit kethan savage
Six-foot-three guard Kethan Savage will join the Colonials next year. Photo courtesy of Episcopal High School.

Correction appended

The Colonials first recruit for the 2012 class has committed to GW, ESPN is reporting.

Kethan Savage, a guard from Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va., is listed as a three-star prospect and has a scouts grade of 89 out of 100 by ESPN.com and is also listed as a three-star prospect by Scouts.com and Rivals.com.

The 6-foot-3, 190 pound guard is also ranked as a five-star football prospect by ESPN.com. Based on available figures for his 2010-11 season, Savage averaged 17.7 points per game and a 76.2 free throw shooting average. His CBSSports.com profile describes him as a strong, aggressive shooter down the lane, who is quick in transition, but needs improvement in his jump shot.

This news comes just days after former Villanova forward Isaiah Armwood announced his transfer to GW.

Mike Longergan
Savage is the first recruit of the 2012 class to commit to GW, and the first under new head coach Mike Lonergan. | File Photo

The 2012 class will be the first under new Colonials head coach Mike Lonergan, who saw two recruits, center Erik Copes and guard Curtis ‘Trey’ Davis depart from the program after he took the reins following the termination of former head coach Karl Hobbs. Lonergan added forward John Kopriva to the roster, and the third recruit from Hobbs’ class, forward Jonathan Davis, remained with the program. Savage is the first guard to commit to the program following Trey Davis’ departure, and earned a stronger ranking from ESPN.com than Davis.

This article was updated on August 27, 2011 to reflect the following: The Hatchet incorrectly stated that Savage posted a 76.2 shooting average. The article has been updated to reflect that it was a 76.2 free throw shooting average.